NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Genetic engineering
Name: Jenni

Question:
What is the future outlook for genetic engineering?

In my opinion the future outlook for genetic engineering is mixed. Genetic engineering has already revolutionized all areas of biology, allowing biologists to ask and answer profound questions that could not have been addressed even twenty years ago. I think the future of genetic engineering in the marketplace is hopeful, but less sure. This depends largely on how the public perceives the products of genetic engineering. So far, pharmaceutical (medicinal) products show a lot of promise in the marketplace. Agricultural products are being met with more concern. I think the eventual acceptance of these products by the public will depend on a successful educational campaign by the scientists who do this work.

-Brian