NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dinosaurs
Name: Fairview

Question:
I have researched Plesiosaurus and I was wondering if it lived in the water and is it a dinosaur? Also, is a pterodactyl a dinosaur?

As far as the Plesiosaurus goes, I'm not entirely sure -- it's been a while since I did any fossil hunting. However, I _DO_ know that the pterodactyl is indeed a dinosaur -- since dinosaur means "terrible lizard" in Latin, and the pterodactyl was a lizard -- it's just had wings, that's all. IT still hadn't evolved enough to call it a bird.

-- WORDSWORTH