NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Flesh eating bacteria
Name: Eric Junker

Question:
I am looking for information on flesh eating bacteria. What is the name of the bacteria and where can I get more information?

I believe the organism you're interested in is called infectious Streptococcus beta A. This is the necrophilic organism which killed Jim Henson, among others. If you're interested in this sort of thing, you might try contacting the closest branch of the Centers for Disease Control in your area, or even the laboratory of a local hospital. You might also look into other organisms which produce dead tissue around the site of infection, such as leprosy.

Wordsworth