NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hummingbird Biology
Name: Carrie

Question:
I am interested in the eggs of hummingbirds. We ate at the YMCA of the Ozarks today and they have large hummingbird feeders at every window of the dining room. There were 100's of birds fighting for the feeders. Then we started wondering about nests and eggs. So that is my question?

I have seen a hummingbird's nest. It was not a nest at all but the eggs were so small that the female layed and incubated them on a slit on the top surface of a tree limb. The eggs were whitish and a little bigger than a garden pea.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois