NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cattle and Climate
Name: Peter

Question:
Is there any link bteween global warming / climate change and the increased population of cattle worldwide. If so can it be estimated what proportion of the potential problem arises from this source.

Some scientist speculate that when cows expel intestinal gas (to put it politely!) they contribute to global warming by increasing the amount of methane in the atmosphere. They certainly aren't the only source-a study was done on termites also that showed that methane was expelled as they broke down cellulose-but if they are increasing in number they probably are one of many sources. I'm sorry I can't steer you towards actual studies, but I think they were done in the 1970's.