NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Northern Black Widows
Name: Matt

Question:
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and came across a spider that I've never seen before. It is about 1.5 cm around, dark brown in color, and has an "hour glass" on the underside of it.

I've never seen a black widow except in pictures, but was wondering if this is a relative of one or if the coloring of "black" is a loosely described term.

I have a few cats and they keep coming back with fat lips and injuries to the mouth. I think I found the reason why, but I want to know if these things are a threat to children or adults.

There is a "northern widow" that is native across much of N.A. into British Columbia, the hour-glass pattern is "broken," it doesn't seem it would be found as far north as Fairbanks, and the book I have doesn't say much about biting.