NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Walnut Tree Poison
Name: Dee

Question:
We've just purchased a new home and I would like to have a garden next summer. But many people have told me I will never be able to have one with all the black walnut trees in my yard as they poison the soil with juglone. They have all suggested that I cut down every one of the trees. They are very fine nut producers. My question is this: How many feet away does a walnut tree have to be from the area designated as a garden area so that the poisoning effects will not interfere with my garden. Also, if I have to cut down some of the trees (I have 40 trees in various locations) what time of the year is this to be done ideally?

I do not have references in front of me on the effecfts of walnuts on other plants, but I can tell you from experience that walnut trees in the yard where I grew up seemed to have little effect on nearby flowers and fruit trees; however there were no garden vegetables in that part of the yard. Two large walnuts are still growing there and there is a wonderful mixed domestic and wild flower garden, apple and cherry trees, etc. I suggest that as for any trees any possible effects extend no farther than the drip line, that is the effect of shade and root competition which extends out from the trunk about the width of the crown.

Dear Dee,

http://www.uwex.edu/disted/infosrce/323.htm
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/bwtol.html

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach

Dee

Nature black walnut trees can be very valuable. You may find that if you cut down the trees to setup a garden you may in the future regret your decision.

I would suggest contacting your local county extension agent (in the government listings for your county) and asking who you might speak to about the black walnut trees. A local extension agent or forester should be able to provide information to you about the value of the walnut planting based on age of the trees and their condition. Please write again if you are unable to locate information. Once you have the information you will then be more able to make an informed decision about growing vegetables for food or the trees for their beauty and investment potential.

Richard R. Rupnik