NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hair Shedding
Name:  Christina

Question:
I'm conducting research for a science project on What causes animal to shed their hair, fur, etc. I've read your article on Molding in Reptiles and Amphibians and it gave me the basics on molting but not the biological make up and the cause. Can you help. Thank you.

I don't know anything about the anatomy and mechanisms, but mammals shed hair seasonally, they grow thicker fur for winter and then shed in spring for a lighter summer coat, and repeat the process in the fall to grow a thicker winter coat.