NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snapping Turtle
Name: JAKE

Question:
I HAVE A VERY SMALL SNAPPING TURTLE. IT SEEMS ITS TRYING TO BURY IT SELF AND NOT DOING ANYTHING. WHAT SHOULD I DO? IS IT TRYING TO HIDERNATE? CAN I GET A HOT ROCK LIKE I DO FOR A SNAKE? SHOULD I FEED IT? HOW DO I CLEAN ITS TANK WITHOUT DISTURBING IT?

Animals that hibernate respond to length of daylight hours as much or more than temperature, so yes, it probably is trying to hibernate. A hot rock is probably not a good idea. It may not be very hungry now, since it is naturally very sluggish in winter, but you should still offer it food, turtle food from a pet store is fine. When my son kept a small snapping turtle we kept it in an aquarium with all water, since they are aquatic, but with a rock that it could get up on when it wanted to get out of the water. Just take the turtle out and put it in a bucket or something else while you clean the tank, then put it back.