NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Animal Hearing
Name: Rusty

Question:
My question is what animal can hear at 175,000 hertz (which is a sound wave? My science book has a chart of animals that can hear hertz. Would you please help me find which one or ones can hear at 175,000 hertz.

The frequency that you've asked about is in the range used for echo-location. Many cetaceans (whales and dolphins) and pinnipeds (seals, walruses, and other things with flippers) can make and sense sounds in this range. For these species, they detect the sounds with cavities in their skulls as well as ears.

Bats also use echolocation, but most of the frequencies they use are a bit lower than 175,000. You can find lots of neat information on bats at:
http://www.batcon.org/

Thanks for asking NEWTON!

Laura Hungerford