NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tree Pests
Name: Eric

Question:
I have found an odd species of borer infesting the trees in my area. It does not confine itself to any single species, but seems to move from tree to tree, somewhat like a plague. They originated in a stand of Chinese elm (ulmus parvifolia) and then moved to our bur oaks (quercus macrocarpa) and our native version of white ash (fraxinus americana). As these trees are few and far between, the borers have recently moved to the cottonwoods (populus deltoides) which line the creeks. The borers cut a half inch wide hole, usually straight into the trunk. They kick out mounds of sawdust every so often, and attempts to plug thier holes are removed, always during the evening. I recently was forced to destroy some of the elms as they had been completely ransacked by these borers, a cut into the trunks revealed five bore holes within two inches of each other, with 4 more spaced farther away. I did manage to track down one of the borers in the log. It was about 2 inches long, with reddish pink coloring and black "spines" all along it. It had a sickly white underside to it also. I was wondering if you could possibly say what type of borer this is, I suspect some kind of carpenterworm, but the local government offices have been no help. I would like to at least slow these things down in time to save the Ashes and Oaks, some of which are over three-hundred years old, which is virtually unknown in my area. (northwest Kansas) Thanks for your help!

Dear Eric,

The Texas Agriculture Extension Service has a web page on wood boring insects and their control:
http://entowww.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-5086.html

The Morton Arboretum has a leaflet on borers:
http://www.mortonarb.org/plantinfo/plantclinic/leaflets.html

The University of Minnesota also has info on insecticides for control:
http://www.mes.umn.edu/Documents/D/G/DG0704.html

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach

Eric,

I unfortunately do not have a text available at this time, but I am just writing to suggest speaking to your county extension agent, who should be located in your county seat city government center. The agricultural extension agent, normally associated with your state university, should have a wealth of information on your particular state tree pests.

In the event this is fruitless, try a web search on your state university, and call their offices to connect with a forestry or forest pest individual.

Please write back in the event you do not find the information you seek. In the meantime, I will check my library to see if I have anything on pests in your area.

Richard R. Rupnik