NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne House Shrews
Name: carol

Question:
I have been trapping for mice and have killed what appears to be shrews. They are about the size of mice but are more Square with a long snout, short tail and sharp pointy teeth. We have a mouse problem each winter as the field mice enter from the 120 acres around the house. I read the answer in the archives on mouse house infestation. My question is are the shrews a danger in the house? I hate to trap and kill any animal.

An easy answer to your problem would be to use Have-A-Heart mouse traps. These traps do not harm the animals at all and you can re-release them into the wild.

Saundra Sample

Shrews are insectivores and I have never heard of them being any problem in houses, have only rarely heard of them getting in. How many have you trapped? If you think this is going to continue try live traps - then if its a mouse you can kill it, a shrew you can let go outdoors.

Shrews are not a danger to the house. They are insectivores with an attitude appetite. If you have them in your house, say good bye to insects! They need to eat [generally] five times their weight a day, so when the food is gone, so are they.