NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Extinction Saver
Name: Allyson

Question:
Could cloning be used to save a species from going extinct?

We were just watching a video about the Hawaiian nay-nay (goose) and how its genetic diversity is so low that it can't adapt to its environment anymore. They checked its DNA with some 200 year old nay-nays that had been preserved at the Smithsonian Institute. Their DNA was more diverse than those of today. One of my students asked why they couldn't take that DNA and clone it and insert it into an egg of a modern nay-nay and see if new chicks could hatch with the old DNA. Would this work? I don't know but it is an intriguing idea.

Van Hoeck