NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hair Permanents
Name: Willa

Question:
How do hair permanents work? I read that an alkaline solution breaks the chemical bonds that hold the hair's protein molecules together. Can you give me any more information?

Hair contains thiol (-SH) groups. These help to stabilize the structure of your hair by oxidatively cross-linking to form disulfides (-SS-). Overall, the chemical reaction is

2 -SH + 1/2 O2 --> -S-S- + H2O.

Perms work by breaking the disulfide bonds and then forming new ones with the hair in the position you want it. The new disulfide bonds keep the hair curling the way it was set.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.