NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Coot Nusiances
Name: Stephanie

Question:
We have coots on our manmade lake that are a real nuisance and with this retired community several folks have fallen and hurt themselves due to coot poop. Is there a good way to get the coots to leave and go to one of the many other lakes in the area without homes around them?

I have observed coots for over 30 years and I can not recall an occasion that the American Coot would create a problem with their waste products. They use the water as their waste depository. However, there is a first time for everything, especially if people are feeding them. You are fortunate to have them! They are protected and should be given all the respect of a native bird.

I received dozens of complaints about geese waste doing what you claim the coots are doing and if you have geese about, this may be your problem, not the coots. Also, are you sure they are coots? A blackish grey bird with white beaks and red eyes? Their feet are not webbed, but lobed. A great species!