NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mosquito Larvae Development
Name: Robert

Question:
I woul like to know the range in a year during which mosquito larvae are present in water bodies? For example, how early in the spring and late in the fall will larvae persist? Thank you very much.

Robert We are unable to answer this for many reasons. The question has different answers depending upon the mosquito species and the area for which you live. Wide varieties exist. In my area there are three species and they are found at different times of the year, depend upon the amount of rain, temperature and moisture factors, and the numbers are often a factor of the winter's severity.