NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dove Nesting
Name: Gloria

Question:
There is a wild dove that returns to my home every year to nest. I know that doves typically make shabby little nests. Is there a way I can facilitate her nesting in a safe, out-of-the way place, where she is least likely to be bothered by my children or my dogs?

Most birds are very much creatures of instinct and habit, and I doubt anything you could do will have an impact on the dove's choice of nesting - they do pretty well on their own, after all, if they didn't there wouldn't be so many of them in both rural and suburban areas. The best thing to help is to watch where the nest is and keep the kids/pets out of the bird's way.

I have no clue as to where you are located, but this sounds like a mourning dove [or related species] nest. It is best to leave them alone, they have survived building these types of nests for thousands of years. They are not easily trainable and do not respond to human efforts.