NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Moth and Lights
Name: Deborah

Question:
My son is asked a science question every week. This weeks question is "If moths are attracted to lights, why are they not attracted to the sun and try to fly to it?" The answer is needed by Friday 3/10. I'm baffled by this one! Unless the moth knows it's too far to fly?

I read somewhere about this topic and it seems to be a product of the insects biological clock and the type of light involved. Sunlight has it's own recognizable signature. During the diurnal hours, the attention of the insect to the sunlight is generally ignored for one reason or another. However, after sunset, light in the dark is a different matter.