NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Brain Usage
Name:  Matt

Question:
what percentage of the brain does the average human use?

This is a very difficult question to address. Your brain is functioning at so many levels at any given time that to access exactly what parts and how much is being used is not feasible. In addition, many of the cells of the brain are for protective purposes and not related to function of the nervous system. This is why some people claim that the brain uses only a fraction of its mass when in fact the parts not being used are not designed to be used.

I haven't answered your question, but I do not think anyone can really.