NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Amphibian Deterrents
Name: Ellen

Question:
I have a severe phobia about frogs/toads. Is there any type of repellent that I could use on my walkway to keep them away? This is not a joke!

A cat or a dog would do it! However, eliminate the moist habitat that they require and you should see these amphibians diminish in numbers.

There are commercial repellents for mammals and birds, but to my knowledge they are not all that effective, and I don't know of anything for amphibians. About the only thing I can think of is a dog or cat that will frighten them.