NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Barn Swallow House
Name: Juli

Question:
My father is building an "apartment" for barns and swallows to enjoy. He is wondering how large to drill the holes. He believes the correct size is 1 1/4 inch. Is that correct?? Thank you!

I am not sure what kind of bird you are asking about - barn swallows do not nest in cavities and will not use nest boxes. Purple martins, which are related and do nest in communal boxes, need a fairly large hole - I do not have a guide in front of me, but I believe the holes in the boxes we use are about 1 3/4" - I'm pretty sure 1 1/4 would be too small for martins.