NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bread Mold and Tobacco
Name: Jill

Question:
Please help! I'm doing a biology experiment on bread mold and what affects the growth. I used chewing tobacco, coffee, yeast, and water to test the mold growth. My problem is I can't find any resources on why it grew the way it did. So far, the water affected the mold the most. It grew the most mold, but the chewing tobacco has already generated spores. Why is this? Please, if you have any imformation on any of these aspects it would be greatly appreciated. My report is due in a week is I'm in dire need of help!

What is your exact hypothesis? What do you mean that water grew the most mold? Water by itself? Or water in something? Why did you grow mold with yeast? Molds are tolerant of acid environments more than other organisms and you might want to test the pH of the tobacco. If it is acid, it may not have any competition with other organisms and can grow. I would need to know more about your experiment before I could make any other comments.

Van Hoeck