NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Crested Flycatcher Bird House
Name: kristin

Question:
What would be the best wood to use to build a house for a crested flycatcher? And what kind of habits do these birds have?

I have never heard of crested flycatchers using artificial nest boxes, but one of my books says it is possible since they do nest in cavities. I don't think the type of wood would make much difference. They usually nest high in trees though, in woods or open woodland areas like parks. Despite their name they eat a lot of berries and even some small animals as well as insects, which they get from both high in trees and closer to the ground.