NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Treatment Plants
Name: Charlette

Question:
What is used to filter water at a water treatment plant?

What an idea! I take my students to a water treatment facility every year. You should call your local water treatment plant and ask for a tour. They'd be happy to accommodate you. Better yet, suggest it to your teachers. It is much better to see the operation than have us explain it. Basically, most treatment plants remove the solid material and use living organisms and chlorine to clean up the water.