NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Counter Current Multiplier Mechanism
Name: Stephen

Question:
Can you please explain to me the counter-current multiplier mechanism. I understand that cholride and sodium ions are filtered out of the ascending loop of Henle into the interstial fluid, however, I'm not sure exactly what happens from there and how this effects osmotic pressure gradients in the nephron. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

This mechanism is very complex when it comes to writing a response. You have to have a strong background in osmotic pressure understanding and the anatomy of the kidney. It involves the cortex, outer and inner medula in relationship to the vasa recta, interstitial fluids at two points, the loop of Henle and the collecting duct. The size of the tubes and the position in relations to the cortex and medulla is an essential part. I can suggest some references.

http://www.kumc.edu/AMA-MSS/study/phys5.htm#regulation

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u09/u09_017.htm

These are excellent sites that address your question.

This function is dependent on the anatomical arrangement of the nephrons and the vasa recta (blood vessels surrounding the nephron). The descending loop of Henle carries urine filtrate down ward from the cortex into the medulla. The ascending loop carries urine filtrate upward from the medulla into the cortex. This sets up a situation where urine flowing in one tube is running parallel and counter to fluid flowing in another tube. The descending tube is permeable to water and impermeable to solutes. The fluid outside of the tube is more concentrated and water leaves it by osmosis. This causes the filtrate to become more concentrated. The ascending limb of Henle is impermeable to water but permeable to solutes such as Na, Cl and urea. As the filtrate moves up the limb the ions move out making the filtrate less concentrated. The actual concentration is dependent on the hormone ADH or anti-diuretic hormone. When ADH is present, water moves out of the collecting ducts which are past the loops of Henle. This causes the urine to be more concentrated. When ADH is NOT present, the water stays in the urine and leaves the kidneys.

Van Hoeck