NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cardinal Nesting
Name: Carol

Question:
Do cardinals ever move their nests? I had one with an egg and baby outside my window and it has disappeared over night. There are no signs of it below---cat attack or anything. However, I do have 4 cats that I hope didn't get it. Thanks

No, birds can't move their nests - it is a bit unusual for you to find no sign of the nest when a predator has raided it, it almost sounds like a human. However if you look around a bit you might still find some remains. Cats are always suspect in bird nest raids, they are among the biggest threats to many birds.