NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Old Trees
Name:  Charley
Status:   other
Age:   20s
Date: Around 1999  

Question:
I am looking for resources that list the average lifespan for individual tree sprecies (preferrably numbers 150yrs, 200yrs etc. rather than verbal short, mid, long, etc). I also need information regarding wind strength of different tree species (wind strength being susceptibility to limb loss and windthrow)? Preferrably I would like to find this information for most trees that grow in the Eastern United States. Any assistance and recommendations you may have would be much appreciated.

Possibly helpful:
http://www.rmtrr.org/oldlist.htm

Sincerely,
Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

Many years ago the USDA Forest Service published a book, "Silvics of Forest Trees of North America" that has extensive data on the ecology and life of most species of trees. I may not have the title exactly but you should be able to find it with help from a good reference library. You might also check out local agriculture or forest extension services, they are great sources of information. A forestry textbook of dendrology, (Harlow & Harrar was the classic when I was in school) will also have some of this info.