NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tulip Tree Flowering
Name:  Lisa
Status:   other
Age:   30s
Date: Around 1999  

Question:
I have a Tulip Tree in my yard which I planted approximately five years ago. It looks healthy and is growing great except it has never had any of the "flowers" that my old tulip tree got in the spring. Do you have any idea what the problem might be with my tree? Is there anything I can do to get some of these pretty flowers?

Lisa,

I planted 3 of them 6 years ago. This spring was the first flowering for the largest of the trees. I am hoping to see flowers on all of them hopefully next spring. Bottom line is, assuming the tree is vigorous, you should see flowers next or the following spring on your tree.

One note, the common name for Liriodendron tulipifera is appropriate. I had never personally seen the flowers close-up, since I only ever saw them displayed on large trees. It was nice to get a close-up view of the flowers which really do resemble tulips.

Good luck, and thanks for using NEWTON!

Ric

I have a number of forestry, forest ecology, and ornamentals reference books but none say at what age a tulip tree would begin to flower. Some hardwoods like oaks have to be pretty good size, maybe 10 or more years old to flower, I suspect that perhaps your tree simply isn't old enough yet but I can't say for sure.