NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bark Thickness
Name:  Daniel
Status:   other
Age:   20s
Date: Around 1999  

Question:
I am a newly-hired Park Ranger in North Carolina, so of course everyone I know assumes that I am now omnipotent about all things natural... Hence, a friend of mine has posed a question I was hoping you could answer:

In the North American wilderness, on which side of a tree is the bark usually the thickest? -- the north, south, or west side?

I would guess the south side of the tree since in open areas, the crown grows best on the south side (exposure to most sun, and least wind damage).

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.