NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Weeping Mulberry
Name:  Jan
Status:   educator
Age:   30s
Date: Around 1999  

Question:
Dear Fellow Lover of the Weeping Mulberry:

I have spent the past 10 Memorial Weekends at the Greenbrier Country Club in West Virginia. The grounds of the Greenbrier are abundant with Weeping

Mulberry Trees and I fell in love with their appearance. Last year I decided to purchase one and bring it to my home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. While my Weeping Mulberry seems to be thriving in my backyard, which is on an inlet of the Chesapeake Bay, which receives little salt water spray but must cope with winds typical of this area, it's leaves have developed black spots. My landscaper tells me it is because the well-water fed irrigation system is too close to my Weeping Mulberry but I would like an expert's opinion. Maybe it has some type of aphid growth and there is somethin' something I could be treating it with.

Possibly helpful. Also check with your local agricultural extension office.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioline/sc165/sc165_9.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.