NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Picking Rosebuds
Name: Eric
Location: GA
Date: April 2006

Question:
My name is Eric. I am 6 and I go to an Elementary School in Atlanta, Georgia. In my class there is a big question. We are learning about living and non-living things and we don't know this: If you pick a rosebud, but it is still going to bloom in a few days... when you pick it do you call it a non-living thing or a living thing because it still blooms?

Eric,

A very interesting question.

The simple answer is that sometimes the bud, after it is picked , is still alive. I had good luck this summer to pick 10 rose buds from different rose bushes in my yard and gardens of my brother and my parents. I placed the cut rose stems in water and put them out to look at on a window sill that faced north. The good luck part of the story is that 3 of the buds developed roots, and I later planted the new rose plants back out in the garden. The bad luck part of the story is that 7 of the buds did not develop roots, and instead they rotted. This means at the time they were picked, all of the buds were alive, and 3 continued to live, which the other 7 died at some time.

I am looking forward to the springtime to see if the 3 new rose plants, and all of the other older roses, survived the wintertime. :)

Thank you for using NEWTON!

Ric Rupnik

thanks for your help.I would call it "living" until it dried up since the tiny cells of the stem and flower are still working. Sometimes if you put a stem in water and wait long enough the stem can grow new roots and start a new plant.

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.