NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Prunus lauracerasus in Composts
Name: Patsy D.

Question:
If one is chipping a large quantity of Prunus lauracerasus for compost, are you likely to be poisoned by cyanide? Would it happen if the work was carried out in an open air site? I would recommend a mask and a body covering. Would you suggest it was however too dangerous for composting at all?

I never heard of this connection before. I doubt that you can be poisoned by chipping in an open air site. You can check with your local agricultural extension service.

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.