NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Button Trees
Name: Karen C.

Question:
Why is the sycamore tree commonly refered to as the button tree?

This is an interesting question to me in that it indicates the variety of common names used for the same species from different areas. I have NOT heard sycamore commonly referred to as "button tree" but I expect that where it is it is due to the shape of the seeds.