NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne "Skeleton" Leaves
Name: Jodi C.

Question:
I have been trying to find an accurate way to make "skeleton" leaves. The process leaves behind just the veins of the leaves or the skeleton. I have heard everything from boiling to bleaching to scraping with a natural bristle brush; and even using brine shrimp. The leaves I've seen that I really admire were done with some sort of photo etching process using chemicals I suppose. Do any of your Botanists know how to do this at home? I would love to know what eats away just the plant matter without distroying the leaves..

The process is described in the link below. More information about Skeleton leaves, and other sites/methods can be found by using Google or another search engine and typing in, "making skeleton leaves".

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Skeleton-Leaves

Unknown