NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Garlic and Bacteria
Name: Yayuk L.

Question:
I want to test the extract of garlic in some bactery to know an antibacterial effect. Until now I could not find what kind of method I had to do. If I tried to find through Internet I found the abstract only without the full text.

possibly helpful?

http://www.mistral.co.uk/garlic/

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

The primary anti-bacterial component of garlic is a compound with the common name "Allicin". You might use that term to do a web search if you have not already used that term.

It is stable in mild acid but decomposes in base so you might try to extract garlic cloves with acetone with a couple of drops of acid, evaporate some of the acetone at room temperature to concentrate the extract. Then add to this extract dropwise a hydrocarbon, say hexane, or heptane, or a commercial petroleum cut like "Skelly-solv" or some other petroleum hydrocarbon fraction. The allicin is not soluble in these weak solvents and should form an oily layer. You may have to repeat the procedure, or devise some way to purify the extract further, I do not know.