NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Alcohol from Brocoli and Cauliflower
Name: Lauren

Question:
Can I make alcohol out of brocoli and cauliflower?

The biochemical production of ethanol is usually the result of fermentation of sugar(s) to ethanol. There is not much sugar in either of these vegetables, so I doubt that they would work very well. I would predict that the fermentation process of the above candidates would raise quite a stench, however.

Lauren,

Probably not -- or not with much success. Fermentation of carbohydrates to make alcohol works best if the feedstock has within it a readily accessible source of glucose. Thus, the sugars present in the juice of fruits and the starch of various grains is a starting material of choice.

Indeed, broccoli and cauliflower do contain cellulosic tissue that is composed of glucose. However, glucose bound in cellulose is not so accessible to fermentation enzymes as is the glucose bound in starch.

ProfHoff