NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne "planta de insulina"
Name: Luis

Question:
People in Puerto Rico use a plant for hypoglusemic purposes. As a scientist I am looking for information regarding this plant. the common name of it, is "planta de insulina" which translate in english as the insuline plant. As a diabetic I been using it and it is funtinal. Do you have some information about this plant? What is the scientific name for it?

Hi Luis!

Diabetic people many times need to take insulin in order that his(or her) body work properly. Since the taking of insulin is tiring and sometimes has side-effects, many medical doctors and researchers in the world look all the time for alternatives.

Science, 1999 May 7; 284: 974-977 has a paper about the discovery of a new molecule that could possibly be used as an insuline alternative. By other hand many specialists in Phytochemistry work looking for medicinal applications for the thousands (millions) vegetable species. Many of them are found already used by the people in the so-called "common-sense medicine". And many times they work! Sorry, i don't know of the plant used by the Puerto Rico people, but i know of a brazilian one, used for the same purpose. It is a "leguminoseae" that has the scientific name of Bauhinia variegata.

I cannot affirm the results of its use. But i am glad to know that you are taking this field of research. Good luck!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)