NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Stripped Bark Survivial
Name: Gerard P. D.

Question:
I have a small crimson king maple sapling which has had the bark stripped from it completely around the "trunk" for about an eight inch lenght. I have taped the exposed area and protected it from the weather. Is there any change the sapling will survive without the bark? This damage was caused by rabbits.

http://www.hort.agri.umn.edu/MG/FAQ/trees.htm#Q20

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

If the cambium layer has been destroyed all the way around the trunk in any place then the tree will not survive. It is common for rabbits to kill small trees by girdling, and if the bark is all gone on a sapling it is most likely girdled.

Several recommendations:

While I am not a gardener, I have seen a tar-based "goop" spread onto the exposed stumps of large branches that have been pruned. If this works, it may also discourage your hungry rabbits.

Contact a commercial nursery, or a professional tree-care business in your area. They may have some recommendations.

Contact a garden club in your area.

Contact the agricultural extension agent in your area. Most counties and/or universities have one. You may try finding the web page of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Extension Service. You can find them in the Yellow pages, probably under "U.S. government".

Do and internet search [ I prefer www.google.com ] using terms like "tree care" "tree preservation", etc. I suspect you will find many "hits". I'm sure there are organizations out there dedicated to the preservation of trees. The local chapter of the "Sierra Club", for example, may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck