NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jack in the Pulpits
Name: Charles M.

Question:
If Jack in the Pulpits ever have golden spores, on the backs of the leaves and on the outside of the pulpit. I have a patch of them in my wildflower garden, bigger each year, but this year they have what appear to be spores, similar in size to the ones on ferns. What are the spores - I hope they do not have some loath "pulpit disease".

No, jack-in-the-pulpit never produce spores, the most likely candidate for spots on the leaves is probably fungus, but I cannot say for sure what they are.

The male flowers produce pollen but not on the leaves or outside. Perhaps the Arisaema Page may have some info for you http://genesis.ne.mediaone.net/~rrh/arisaema.html

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach