NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lightening and Tree Survival
Name: Cynthia H.

Question:
I have a 75 foot bald cypress tree that appears to have been struck by lightening last week. The only visable sign of damage is that the bark on the entire tree has been marked by long lines of scars where it peeled up some of the bark. What is the chance that the tree will survive this shock. Surrounding plants became unexplainably wilted. Is there anything that I can do to help save the tree.

You can probably check with your local agricultural extension service about it, but I think it should survive. Perhaps there might be a "tar" that could be applied over some of the wounds to prevent infection and prevent rot and decay.

http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/pdf_pubs/642.PDF

Anthony R. Brach, PhD.