NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plant Culture Results
Name: Hap S.

Question:
I have cultured four species of plants. They are carrot, ginseng, arabidopsis and tobacco. These plants were cultured in the dark. When I returned them to the light, one of those became green and the others not. The green one was carrot.I want to ask you that why carrot became green and the other three not?

Perhaps species differences in chlorophyll production, growth rates, and plasticity/adaptability. You might want to use a search engine like www.google.com, as well as checking a plant physiology text for further clues.

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach