NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Pine Tree Development
Name: John J.

Question:
I am interested in starting Pine Tree seedlings and have not been able to find much on it. After discovering the NEWTON Site I've found a little on the subject. However, my question is: If the mature tree has many limbs which begin at (let's say) 10 feet off the ground, should I expect the offspring to take the same general structure?

John,

You can use the parent's characteristics as a general guide, but equally important are the young tree's growing environment. If the species is not shade tolerant, for example, you might find its lower branches dropping earlier than its 'brother' growing in sunlight. Other characteristics like tree height and shape will also be influenced by the environment. For example, trees subject to strong wind tend to be mis-shapen; likewise, those exposed to salty air near the coast can be stunted.

For a given area, the tree's parents can be a partial guide as to what to expect in the offspring.

Good luck!

Ric Rupnik

Any tree will display the same general growth pattern as its parent. Many pines usually shed their lower limbs due to shading from above, as they get larger, but depending on species might get fairly large before that happens.

Possibly helpful, or search www.google.com for "pine or Pinus and determinant growth and tree architecture" or contact your local agricultural extension office for local conditions and trees.

http://www.orst.edu/extension/impact/ponderosa_pine.html

http://pais.cirad.fr/bibliography.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.