NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Milk and Plants
Name: Connor R.

Question:
Hi My name is Connor. My friend Jack and I just completed an experiment where we fed two Catgrass plants, one with bubbly water and the other with 1% milk. During the experiment the one that was fed with water grew taller, yet was more yellowed. The one that was fed with the milk was never as tall but always looked greener and healthier. They both died after 10 to 11 days.

Could you tell us why the milk caused the plant to look more healthier. Was it because milk is full of nutrients and "good bacteria"? Conditions were as follows:

Plants were grown in their original containers from the nursery. On the first day we cut each plant down to 1 inch each so they were exactly the same height. They were watered/milked 1/3 cup of liquid every three days. They were sitting on the kitchen table inn doors.

The main fertilizer components of milk would seem to be calcium and phosphorus

http://classes.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci308/milkcomp.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.