NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Oak Trees and Black Scum
Name: Frank C.
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2002

Question:
I have a large oak tree with limbs extending over my wooden patio. For the past week there are multiple small 1/4 inch puddles of a black oily appearing substance on the wooden deck. These are more prevalent after a rain. Is this some type of sap leak? I see othing particular in the tree itself.

Could be sap from the tree. Since the tree is large it would be difficult to find the source-point but probably nothing to worry about except for the puddles on your deck.

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

It is possible that the black substance is air pollution from vehicles and other burning sources. Dirt would collect over time on the leaves of trees between rains, and get washed down to your deck during rains or when sufficient dew collects on leaves to drip down.

Without more detail (is the wood on the patio new? has it happened in other years/seasons?) it is a little difficult to diagnose. Maybe set out a plate on your deck to see if it collects this oily grime, at least that way you can determine if it's coming from above or below (e.g. leaching from treated wood in your patio)

Don Yee