NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Banana Harvesting
Name: Salliejane
Date: Saturday, October 12, 2002

Question:
I have some banana trees in my back yard. the question is, when the tree bears, when is it right to cut the bananas? is the flower that hang from the bottom tell me any right time to cut. what is it when i see the bananas cut from the tree and then hung up. thanks for any help.

Perhaps helpful:

http://www.vandamme.be/history.html

Bananas grown commercially are cut when green for shipping but since they're in your backyard, perhaps not necessary to cut as early.

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.