NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snow, Insulation, and Plants
Name: Marc James S.

Question:
I am a science teacher in Arizona and I am an enthusiastic gardener. The problem with growing plants, flowers, and vegetables in Arizona is that the sun is so hot that it destroys the plants, vegetables and seeds. Anyway, through my research on how I could make my garden grow I have stumbled on to the fact that snow is a great insulator. I found that fresh snow is an excellent insulator. Ten inches of fresh snow with a density of 0.07 inches, seven percent water, is approximately equal to a six-inch-layer of fiberglass insulation with an insulation R-value of R-18. If I were to store snow from the north in a deep freezer over the winter, could I then put it on my garden in the hot mid afternoon summer days. I want to know if the snow would be a great alternative to watering all afternoon long. Could it actually destroy the plants or help them grow stronger be keeping the temperatures cool and slowly adding moisture instead of drenching it with water. We have no snow to do any experiment and my class is excited to hear your answer.

Snow is an excellent insulator (during the winter). Not sure if this has ever been used in the summer.

Possibly helpful

http://www.global-garden.com.au/burnley/jul01dte.htm

http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/articles/snwinjur.html

Anthon Brach, Ph.D

I am not sure that transporting low density snow from the mountains in winter and storing it for several months in a freezer would be cost-effective. But my question is: How long will the snow stay around if you cover a plant when the air temperature is 110 F.!!! Wouldn't some sort of shade canopy be as effective and much less costly? I seem to recall seeing such canopies in AZ state gardens.

I do not think there would be any harm done to plants from snow, but given that the water content of most snow is around 10% by volume, it would take a huge amount of snow to add significant water. If you have a 10'x20' garden and covered it with 12" of snow, that would be 200 cubic feet of snow and would add only a little more than 1/10" equivalent water.