NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Regenerating Burned Ground
Name: Kathy R.

Question:
WE are going to be moving into a home where right in the middle of the yard they have been burning wood forenjoyment of parties. How am I going to get grass to grow there again. What is the chemical composition I should use after I work up the ground?

Kathy,

Heat from a fire can change the structure of soil and deplete its minerals. Heat from several fires would certainly be destructive to the soil.

I would recommend removing at least the first few inches of soil in the affected area and replacing it with topsoil purchased at your local garden center. The cost should not be too great if the area is small and I think the resultant lawn area would be more successful than trying to restore the soil that is present.

Ric Rupnik

Actually, the ground should be fine for growing grass since soil fertility usually increases after fires. Controlled burns are sometimes used to encourage grasses and prairie-type vegetation.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/documents/landown/1_040A.PDF

Anthony R. Brach

You need to contact the extension service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and have a soil chemical analysis run. There are also commercial labs that can do this. You need the chemical info in order to know where to start. Once you know the chemical composition (and other such things as drainage, soil density etc.) a horticulturist, a botanist can help you with a specific plan.