NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Radiation and Radish Mutations
Name: Andrew D.

Question:
Hi. I am 15 years old and I am in the 9th grade. My project is: The Effect of Radiation on Radish Seeds. I have conducted research and have carried out my experiment. I planted 4 radish seeds, of which two were non radiated, and two were radiated under 320 gray and 920 gray. I believe they are measured in gray. The seeds were radiated under a X-ray machine at a doctor's office. My hypothesis was correct, that the seeds would undergo mutations. The two non radiated seeds grew perfectly normal, as expected. The germination time was said to take 4 to 10 days, and on the 5th day, they sprouted. However, the seed exposed to 320 gray did not sprout up until the 7th day. Today is the 10th day, and the seed exposed to 920 gray has not sprouted. However, the seed exposed to 320 is mutated with only one leaf, and stunted growth. There is also dark shades of brown found on the outer lining of the seeds. I have done research about mutations such as point mutations, chromosomal mutations, and frameshift mutations. However, I would extremely appreciate if you can help me to determine the scientific effect and explanation for the cause of these mutations, so that I can successfully complete my project.

Possibly helpful:

http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/SOAR/SciProj2001/EricD.html

http://www.electrogenetics.net/PdRadish.html

Anthony Brach, Ph.D