NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Growing Ginger
Name: pippa

Question:
I have an interst in growing plants from seed/bulb etc. I have heard that it is possible to grow ginger from its root. How would I go about this and would it make a difference if the ginger had been kept in a fridge first?

Should be okay to sprout a ginger root that has been in the refrigerator, although may take some time if "dormant." The following might be helpful, recommends ginger root from organic food stores which has not been treated.

http://www.io.com/~wilsone/shadysweeties.htm

Anthony Brach Ph.D.

Dear Pippa, It should be possible to use ginger. I have some large pieces of ginger that I have left on the counter for several weeks. The older parts have dried a little but the ends which were spherical have grown tips that are slightly green. I think if I were to put the whole piece horizontal and slightly under the soil surface and add water so the soil is moist but not saturated, it should grow. It should be possible to use the ginger in the fridge as long as it has not been in the fridge for a very long time. Take it out and let it lay on the counter and see if the tip begins to grow. Otherwise, buy another piece, the larger the better, and with several spherical ends and once again, let it sit out for a week to see what happens before planting it. Good luck!

Jim Tokuhisa