NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Holes and Tree Diseases
Name: janet

Question:
We are studying tree diseases in our classroom. One of my students asked about a disease her Grandfathers trees were all dying as a result. She brought a sample of one of the limbs. They all had alot of pin hole size holes in them. She said her grandfather said the trees died very quickly and dried out. What disease could this possibly be? and what would the cure be?

There are many different kinds of tree diseases caused by a variety of pathogens, some particular to specific kinds or species of trees. The holes suggest insect damage, possibly combined with a tree disease. The following might be helpful:

http://forestry.about.com/bldisex.htm

Anthony Brach PhD.

Though it does not seem to apply to this case, I experienced an unsolicited evaluation from a reputable firm that told me that I had an insect problem because of the numerous holes my red pine tree possessed. The tree did have indeed about one hundred holes in its main truck and some limbs, the cause was a bird species commonly referred to as the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The tree is still healthy after twenty years of this "problem".